To celebrate the 100-year anniversary of our parish, 1922-2022, we will be publishing weekly historical excerpts from the life of our parish.
Thirty-seven years had passed since the construction of St. Matthew’s Church. Monsignor Wibbert, seeing the tiny wooden church had run its course, decided to build a new one. He insisted that most of the money be raised prior to its construction. Ground was broken on August 16, 1959 and on May 29, 1960, St. Matthew’s Church was completed at a cost of $650,000. The altars were consecrated by His Excellency, the Most Reverend Leo A. Pursley. Relics contained in the altar are as follows:
At the request of Bishop Leo Pursley, on July 22, 1960, St. Matthew’s was elevated to the dignity of Co-Cathedral. The story continues...
Special thanks to Father Bob Garrow for his research.